Passport Gender Change

Updating Your Gender Marker on an Existing Passport or Getting a Passport for the First Time

If you are applying to change your gender marker, submitting a passport application for the first time, or applying for a passport when your old passport has expired, you must apply in person.

You will need to complete and submit:

  1. Application for U.S. Passport (Form DS-11);
  2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship (such as a previous U.S. Passport, certified Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, or Report of Birth Abroad);
  3. Proof of Identity that contains your signature and photograph that is “a good likeness to you” (such as a previous U.S. Passport, a Driver’s License, a Certificate of Naturalization, Military Identification, or a Government Employee Identification Card). You must present the original AND provide a photocopy of the front and back side with your application;
  4. A recent color photograph 2×2 inches in size;
  5. If you are changing your name on your passport, an Order for Name Change (certified copy showing a seal and officiate/judge signature);
  6. A letter from your Physician confirming your gender transition (the requirements for this letter are listed below)

What Should the Physician Certification Include?

The State Department has provided the following model letter for physician certifications. All certifications must be on the physician’s office letterhead and include all of the information seen here, including the physician’s license or certificate number. You should ask your physician to use this letter and not give additional personal health information that is not included here.


I, Physician’s Full NamePhysician’s medical license or certificate numberIssuing U.S. State/Foreign Country of medical license/certificate, am the physician of Name of Patient​Date of Birth of Patient, with whom I have a doctor/patient relationship and whom I have treated (or with whom I have a doctor/patient relationship and whose medical history I have reviewed and evaluated).

Name of Patient has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to the new gender (specify new gender male or female).

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the foregoing is true and correct.

Signature of Physician
Typed Name

Please call our office at 323-658-8567 if you have any other questions.

24 Hour Passport & Visas: Service Order Form

24 Hour Passport and Visas is a private, non-government passport and visa expediting service agency.The fees included with our services are to expedite the procedures and are in addition to the government fees. If you are in a situation that does not require expedited services you can apply directly through the US Department of State,, and avoid paying our additional courier fees.

Visa Special

$99 China Visa
4-5 business days plus consulate fees

Only $99.00

Passport Special

Standard US Passport
9-14 Business days plus government fees

Only $69.00